Importance of being compassionate and seeing the world through someone else's eyes. Sometimes its best to sacrifice a little to put others at ease. You're not compromising your own happiness.
Caffeine As A Fitness Performance Enhancer
- Counteracts the effect of adenosine, which relaxes the nervous system.
- Makes your nervous system more sensitive. You have more speed, agility, alertness.
- Takes 30-60 minutes for it to enter your system and take an effect
- Half of the caffeine in your system is gone in 4-6 hours.
- 75% of the caffeine is gone in 6-7 hours.
- Go up to 200 mg. Over 200 mg will make you overstimulated.
- Get the caffeine in 40-60 minutes before your workout.
- Take the least amount you can and still notice a difference.
- If using coffee, make sure it's organic. A strong, tall cup of coffee is about 200 mg. A shot of espresso is about 80 mg.
- If you're competing in an endurance race, you could take more caffeine about an hour into the event. ONLY for endurance sports.
- EBoost - Jillian is amazed with it. All natural. Has electrolytes, so it's a recovery drink too, along with the caffeine. Flavored with Stevia. Clean energy. Has vitamins and immunity boosters. 160 mg of caffeine per packet.
Deciphering Food Labels
- "Local" - Doesn't mean it's healthy. It means you're saving the environment because it doesn't take as much in fossil fuels to make it to your grocery store. Don't presume it's organic - ask.
- Organic - no preservatives, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics. It costs a lot to get organically certified
- Gluten Free - Gluten affects people with celiac disease. If you don't have celiac disease, you don't need to buy gluten free food. They are higher in calories, have less fiber, and are more expensive.
- Trans-Fat-Free - Food could still have trans fat in it, but if there's not enough, it could be labeled as trans-fat-free. If it says 0 grams trans fats. If you see hydrogenated anything on the label, don't buy it! They can round down on the serving sizes.
- Whole Grain - It has to say 100 percent whole grain. If not, they could just put a little bit of whole grain in the food and label it as whole grain.
- Good source of _____. - Could just be ten to twenty percent of the recommended daily allowance.
Good Way to Get into the Fitness Industry
- AFFA is straightforward. It doesn't make you miserable. It's manageable, and the courses are great. NASM, ACE, ACSM are all good.
- Do you want to get a personal training certification, group exercise certification, or both?
- Go to some fitness expos. You will find all of the different group exercise people there. What group exercise do you want to teach? Sign up for that course.
- Jillian is coming up with a group exercise class called Body Shred. If you take that class, it will count toward recertification.
- Read the trade magazines - Shape, Women's Health, Men's Health. Men's Health is really good. The trade magazines are an easy read.
- PubMed - Read the latest studies on exercise and diet. When you like something, study it and read it all the way through. Find out who funded the studies.
- Pick a gym in your area that you like. Start working your way into working at the gym freelance.
- Get insurance. Make every person that you train sign a waiver.
When Your Partner Doesn't Want You To Lose Weight
- Try to get him/her to open up about why
- Ask for partner's support - don't bring bad foods in house
- Communicate very clearly, directly about what you want and what you need
- Reassure and validate him/her
- If after several attempts this doesn't work, you have a very serious decision to make.
Ended the show with a short discussion about bras. :-)
I did my best to compile these notes from the show. If there are any errors, please send me an email, and I'll try to correct it as soon as possible. I am not a doctor, personal trainer, dietician, or anything that would remotely qualify me to give advice about health, medicine, or anything else. Please consult a professional before following any advice. This site is a summary of information provided on the Jillian Michaels Podcast that was compiled to the best of my ability. I am not responsible for any inaccuracies or errors.
Photo from Empowered Media/ITunes.