This podcast was recorded on 11/10/12.
Failure Role-Models - people who failed many times
- Bill Gates - dropped out of Harvard
- Steve Jobs - also dropped out of school and was fired from his own company
- Thomas Edison - did over 9000 experiments before inventing the lightbulb
- Harrison Ford - auditioned thousands of times before getting any roles
- Michael Jordan - cut from the high school basketball team
- Albert Einstein - got terrible grades, and was thought to be mentally retarded
- Steven Spielberg - was placed in learning disabled classes in high school and then dropped out of school forever.
- John Grisham - his first novel was rejected by sixteen agents and twelve publishing houses
- Mark Cherry - shopped Desperate Housewives for ten years before anyone would take it
- Abraham Lincoln - twelve major political failures before becoming the President of the United States
A lot of people are terrified to fail. Failure is such an important part of success. Some are afraid that failure is validation of their own worthlessness. They also worry that if they fail, they will be such a disappointment that they will become unlovable. The key is to get back up.
Success is a matter of attrition. You have to keep trying, but you can't always do the same thing over and over again. You have to change something and try to improve. That's how a mistake is a learning experience. Utilize information from your failures. The only true failure is not trying.
People you admire have failed many times. If you don't try, you create a void of nothingness, which is the biggest failure of all.
If the Shoe Fits - importance of properly-fitting shoes for exercise
- Make sure that the shoe is a half an inch longer than your longest toe.
- Get the shoe about a half a size larger than you'd normally wear.
- The forefoot shouldn't be crowded. If it's crowded, you need a wider shoe.
- You want a snug fit around the heel. You heel should not come up out of the shoe.
- Measure the shoes to your bigger foot.
- You can lace your shoes in certain ways that will help with shoe fit issues.
- Get shoes that are specific for your sport. Don't wear cross trainers when you're running.
- Go to a running store and have them check your gait.
- Don't buy foot gear online unless you already know the shoe.
Digestive Download - myths about dieting and the digestive process
- Dieting does not shrink your stomach. You cannot change the size of this organ. It's influenced by genetics.
- Meat - No, it does not take years to digest. It is out of your stomach within six hours or less.
- How often should you go to the bathroom? Up to three times a day. If you're going to less than three times a week, that's a big problem and you need to see a doctor. Papaya is a digestive enzyme.
- Colon flushes - NO! This is a bad idea. Your body is not designed for this.
- You shouldn't eat 30 minutes before exercising. Have a small snack 45-60 minutes before exercise.
A man with a new baby called in about exercise vs. getting some sleep. Jillian recommended four workouts a week, and then the rest of the time, prioritize sleep.
I did my best to compile these notes from the show. If there are any errors, please send me an email, and I'll try to correct it as soon as possible. I am not a doctor, personal trainer, dietician, or anything that would remotely qualify me to give advice about health, medicine, or anything else. Please consult a professional before following any advice. This site is a summary of information provided on the Jillian Michaels Podcast that was compiled to the best of my ability. I am not responsible for any inaccuracies or errors.
Photo from Empowered Media/ITunes.