First aired on May 27, 2011
Jillian has been going to the same therapist for a while. It's a safe place for her. It's where she can go and unravel. She doesn't understand why there is so much stigma attached to therapy.
Her mom brought her to therapy when she was five. She was starting to see things.
Therapy is a journey of self-exploration where you learn to understand why you do the things you do. Therapy helps you see how you hold yourself back so you can get out of your own way.
Therapists have to put in hours before they get their degrees. Google LOW FEE THERAPY in your area. It could be $15-$20/hour. You could try Overeaters Anonymous or any type of twelve-step approach.
Getting your nutrients from food is not enough. Because the soil is so depleted, our food has fewer nutrients. If you're growing your own or you eat organic, this isn't so much of an issue.
We often don't vary our diet enough. We are creatures of habit, and we eat the same thing all of the time. This means that supplementation is important.
You can supplement all different types of things. What should you look out for?
- Multivitamin. A quality multivitamin is expensive. You don't want to go buy something cheap that's $9 for 100. They suck. New Chapter Organic, and Rainbow are great brands, but they're expensive. You should be able to get a month's supply for $30-$40. Pick your multi based on gender. Women lose iron from menstruation, men do not. Therefore women's formulas have more iron.
- Probiotic. Healthy bacteria. Unless you can afford organic yogurt, you shouldn't be eating yogurt. They have tons of hormones and antibiotics. Good bacteria are responsible for immunity, digestion. We eat tons of stuff with antibiotics, and it's killing the good bacteria in our body.
- Omega-3s. If you can't stand seafood, this might be a good idea. Do research online to find a good one.
- Vitamin D. Good idea. Take 1000-5000 IUs of Vitamin D. Ask your doctor to do a test to see how much Vitamin D you need. Fifteen minutes of sunlight during non-peak hours is also a good idea.
- Calcium and Magnesium together. Magnesium helps absorb the calcium.
Lady who wants to lose weight has tendonitis. Jillian wants her to see a physical therapist. They will really be able to help her. She should have her doctor write her a prescription for physical therapy.
Another lady just adopted a baby! The birth mom has Type-2 Diabetes. Jillian says you can change the expression of your genetics based upon your input. Kids are a product of nature AND nurture. The more she knows about the birth family, the better.
I did my best to compile these notes from the show. If there are any errors, please send me an email, and I'll try to correct it as soon as possible. I am not a doctor, personal trainer, dietician, or anything that would remotely qualify me to give advice about health, medicine, or anything else. Please consult a professional before following any advice. This site is a summary of information provided on the Jillian Michaels Podcast that was compiled to the best of my ability. I am not responsible for any inaccuracies or errors.
Posts may contain my affiliate links. Using them will help to promote this site. Thank you!
Photo from Empowered Media/ITunes.